You’ve watched with envy the home renovation programs on TV and drooled over the spa-like retreats featured in all the home magazines. So now you’ve decided to get serious about a bath remodel in your own home. Don’t let all the questions about what kind of shower you want overwhelm you. Sometimes taking into consideration how and where your shower will function will help you determine whether to choose a framed, semi-frameless or frameless glass shower door.
Here are the top three facts about your bathroom your contractor should be aware of:
- Where is your shower or tub located in the bathroom?
- What are the walls made of?
- Where are the supporting studs?
After your contractor has had a chance to assess your bathroom, the easier it will be to determine what maximum weight of glass the walls in your bathroom can support. As a rule of thumb, as the size of a door frame diminishes, the thicker and heavier the glass door becomes.
Here are some tips we’ve compiled from our shower door installation experts:
- ¼” framed and ¼” semi frameless shower doors don’t require blocking in the wall for a safe and solid installation.
- Frameless 3/8” glass shower doors without a header do require additional blocking in the wall where the hinges will be for a safe and solid installation of the 80 to 90 lb. door.
- Check for concave and convex bows in the tile. There should be no curves in the wall where the flat surface of the door will hang.
- When renovating make sure the framing is done correctly. Check to see that walls are level and plumb.
Another important decision you’ll need to make before your bath renovation involves frame, hinge and door handle selection. Barefoot and Company offers three primary colors for shower doors including chrome, brushed nickel and oil rubbed bronze. We also offer a variety of specialty colors for coordinating faucets and plumbing fixtures.
For more renovation answers regarding your shower infrastructure feel free to contact us or schedule a free in-home estimate. Barefoot and Company has been the greater Charlotte area’s glass expert for more than 40 years!
- How to Keep Your Shower Doors Sparkling Clean
- Frameless Shower Glass Enclosures: Frequently Asked Questions
About the Author
As the Quality Assurance Representative and Marketing Manager for three years, Laura oversees and manages all aspects of the company's quality assurance system as a NHQ Certified contractor for Quality Assurance. Furthermore, she designs and manages custom closets and is the New Construction Builder Design Center Liaison. Laura brings exceptional marketing expertise to the company and lives the company’s mission statement. She holds a BS in Marketing from Clemson University and an MBA in Sports Business Management from San Diego State University. Laura's professional... VIEW FULL BIO HERE